Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Week 2 - 1st Run.

I don't even know how far I went this morning -- somewhere around 4km I think.

The weather was a nice -4C -- but we were dumped on with about 4 inches of powdery, fluffy snow last night - which really isn't the best to run in. It was pretty slippery underneath, so I was trying to be careful - and luckily didn't slide much once I got out of my own driveway, but running in unplowed snow with a slippery, slushy bases is like running in sand. IT WAS HARD.

My calves were driving me nuts by the end, and I was running late this morning anyways - so I cut home pretty quickly.

Overall though -- I can feel myself sliding back into shape. I'm probably at about the same level now as I was at by May of last year --- which really isn't too bad at all. It makes me pretty optimistic about the potentials for the Spring when there's no snow on the ground (and it's more enjoyable to be outside), as well as events like the Ottawa Half-Marathon.

If Ottawa doesn't get run this year (still debating on that one -- cost is a concern of mine, also waiting to hear from Erik about it) -- then I'd sort of like to spend some time improving my 5k times and speed - and also losing a few lbs. As all my running buddies will know - it's hard to actively lose weight while marathon training, because the focus is basically just on surviving....

But that's just what I've been thinking about --- good run today though. despite the snow.

No comments: