Sunday, February 25, 2007

Sunday Running - ~7.5km

Well -- the first 4 km of this morning's run were what I like to call a "failed run" - because they just weren't happening.

NO wait, that's wrong, the first kilometer and a half were fine, then I ran into my friend Toby (who I haven't seen in months, and is running his first half at the Chilly Half next week), so I stopped and chatted with him - which was probably my first downfall.

I forgot how long it takes me to warm up --- about 4km or so. That's a solid 20 minutes worth of running (on a good day!) before I'm even really feeling it. I forgot about that, until this morning. So I ran, and walked, and jogged, and ran, and walked, and walked.... Then finally I got my pace - right before I hit Spring Hill (in High Park - for those who don't know - it's giant!). Well, I couldn't very well RUN up the hill - it was far too icy at the bottom - so I hiked briskly to the top, paying homage to the bum that was perked up tremendously by last year's running.

After that I ran -- and it was wonderful, and magical, and all that great stuff. Honestly, it felt great, and I could have definately kept going once I got home, but I was afraid of pushing too hard into injury territory. So I stopped, and stretched.

A funny thing happened on my run this morning -- the bottom pads of my left foot went totally numb while I was running. Mind you - I'm not complaining, it wasn't painful, and sort of surreal to be striking on what felt like a pillow (but was really my poor, numb, skin). A quick Google search reveals it might have been anything from lacing my shoes too tightly to a tendon injury to a benign tumour. I'm not worried about it - if it keeps happening I'll see someone about it, but until then.

Otherwise -- it wasn't a bad run, I'm going to put in an extra short run this week just to hopefully get myself more used to running shorter distances.

1 comment:

Sonia said...

a bening tumor?! WOW look at what you can learn on goole =) Hopefully you just tied your shoes too thight!! Happy to see the new blog and that the running is going well!

Take care