Tuesday, February 20, 2007

It happened so fast, but so slow all at the same time.

Welcome to the 2007 Training Blog.

February 20 ---- I'm starting a little bit late this year. Ideally for marathon training I would have gone hardcore through the winter, but really -- running outdoors in -30 degree weather is just an all around BAD idea, so I didn't.

It makes my job a little bit harder this year --- I have to recover last year's base as well as push through training for 2007. Though last year I ran the Toronto Half after just spent 2 weeks with Tonsilitis, including a brief hospital visit ----- I think I can manage to get back to decent base without issue.

So a brief background:
* I started running last March with Running Room's "Learn to Run" program ---- I liked the social aspect, and getting out and being one of those running people, so I kept doing it.

* Before finishing the LTR program I ran the Sporting Life 10k (the LTR program finishes with a 5k race --- I was eager), in a finishing time of 66 minutes.

* I moved on from LTR to a 10k clinic which I didn't finish because of scheduling issues, the same thing happened with the Half-Marathon clinic I tried to join in December.

* Last August I ran a 5k race in 33 minutes --- the heat was rediculous and having just spent the day at Canada's Wonderland I learned that eating Funnel Cake 40 minutes before a race is basically just an all around BAD idea.

* In October 2006 I ran the Toronto Half-Marathon. I was in poor health and poorly trained (having just spent 2 weeks incredibly ill) --- but I decided to suck it up and run anyways. I was originally trained to complete in 2 hours 20 minutes --- but ended up coming in with a 2:40:00 finishing time. The race distance taught me alot about mental hurdles -- as the uphill last 5k of that race was BY FAR the hardest part, I think it took me 40 minutes to run that 5k alone because I was on track for a 2:25 finish before the climb started.


So this year taking the lessons I learned last year I'm planning my training schedule for Marathon year.

My goal is the NYC Marathon in November --- I REALLY want to run NYC. But it also means taking my chances with the lottery, so we'll see what happens with that. *Fingers Crossed*. I'm also looking for another Half to do in late May/Early June. Ottawa is a distinct possibility, but we'll see.

My finishing Goal for the Marathon is between 4:15:00 and 4:30:00 --- I think this is pretty realistic in terms of my own speed and ability.


Otherwise -- For training I think I'll be closely following Hal Higdon's combination of Spring Training & Marathon Training. I need a light Spring schedule to get used to running again --- and I like his helpful little notes when you get into marathon training :P I'll probably tweak the programs a little as I get more into it, but for now that's my plan.

No comments: