Saturday, February 24, 2007

Training for a Race I'm not Sure I'm going to Run.

So Erik (my long-distance Friend, and remote-Running Buddy) contacted me last week inquiring about Half-Marathon races I'd been looking at. He hasn't done a half yet, and has been persuaded (by me, of course) to try to work towards the NYC marathon as well -- So getting some long-distance race experience is always a good idea.

So I mentioned the few I'm considering (Ottawa, Montreal, Scotia...) and googled a few other races around the late May/early June timeframe. Discussion lead to a conclusion that the Ottawa race might be the best location/timeframe... For him anyways.

Me -- I'm out of shape, and getting back into it this week. I'm on schedule for Spring Training -- but to get in shape for the Ottawa Half (May 27) I'd have to ramp up my LSD (Long-Slow Distance, or Sunday) runs pretty quickly.

Erik hasn't decided what he wants to do yet -- that's fine. But it puts me in a position that I have to start training YESTERDAY if I'm going to do a half this Spring.

So tomorrow I have a 7km run planned. It's going to be a stretch (I have 5k on the Spring Training schedule - but I need to push it to get it done) -- but the route is through some of my favourite parts of the neighbourhood, so it should be okay. We'll see, might have to walk up a hill or two.

I'm nervous though, I really hope this run goes well tomorrow. It doesn't have to be fast, it just has to be good.


Otherwise -- I've decided there are two plans for the 2007 season.
Plan A --- Sporting Life 10k (May 4), Ottawa Half (May 27), NYC (or any other Fall race)
Plan B --- Sporting Life 10k (May 4), Summer Duathlon (I'd like to start doing multi-sport races), Half in early September (either Scotia Waterfront, or Montreal International), NYC or Toronto Marathon.

That's it. I'll post tomorrow after my long run.

*Fingers Crossed for Sunshine!*

1 comment:

TFFlyer said...

Best of Luck On Nov 4th at the NYC marathon! I guess you must have been training, when others were not!
Sincerely, Tom Fleming
NYC marathon Champion '73 & '75