Thursday, March 1, 2007

Mmm -- had a plan, for all of about 20 minutes.

So I decided this morning to officially train, and run, the Ottawa Half.

I told Erik, my running American running friend, with whom I'd been chatting with about it, of my intention and he hopped on the bandwagon as well. So we spent an hour or two trading back and forth info over MSN as we sat in our respective offices, in our respective cities, each in our own country.

We filled out the registration forms, decided on our respective travel information. He booked a flight. I looked up car rental information. We spent about an hour trading links back and forth about hotels before he found a great one (The Lord Elgin) and booked it. I was psyched about that hotel!

It was all set, and we were both totally pumped.

and then the duh, duh, DAH.

He remembered there was an informal work meeting that weekend in New York. So he cancelled... one at a time: the flight, the hotel, the weekend.

I'm a little dissapointed - I was really looking forward to running that race with my buddy. I was also looking forward to spending a weekend hanging out with a good friend in a city that I totally get a kick out of.

Now I have to rethink my plan. I was set to run it alone this morning, and then I had a partner in crime, now it looks like I'll be doing it alone again. I have friends there, who are already offering me places to stay and entertainment. I also have family I haven't seen in awhile. I know that going up would be a happy experience.

I'm just going to miss sharing that experience with my running buddy :(


I didn't run today, we got a HUGE snowstorm instead. I think I'll go out and shovel some snow instead. It's not TECHNICALLY my job (the landlord's pay someone to do that), but I could use the exercise....

Peace out and happy trails.

2 comments:

Sonia said...

That sucks!!! But you can still do the race on your own =) You're already registered!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry about this! Feel like such an idiot and really bummed as well - really wanted to run this with you and spend some time in Ottawa!