Thursday, March 8, 2007

Decisions....

I have to admit - I haven't run in awhile. Last week (Thursday) we had a HUGE snowstorm, followed by about 12 hours of 1 degree weather -- which is basically a recipe for ice.

Tried to run once last week, didn't make it out for my long run -- and am STILL plagued by huge amounts of ice. I'm thinking of making myself a pair of "screw shoes" (ie. using my power drill to screw 15-20 sheet metal screws into the bottoms of a pair of shoes to help me grip the ice), but I'm convinced that this cold weather isn't going to last longer than a couple more weeks.

After the whole Erik-Half-Marathon mix-up drama last week I've been thinking about the whole Half-Marathon thing. The prospect of running it with a buddy would have kicked me into high gear for training.... but I know that a half-marathon in May means that I won't really be in top form. Because I didn't have my credit card with me that day I didn't sign up at the time ---- and now I'm rethinking the plan.

There are two options:

1 -- Run the Ottawa half ---- and be happy with the time, regardless (I'm guessing it would be between 2:20 and 2:30). It means not being in good shape, but it does push me into high gear in terms of long distances - and in a decent spot for marathon training through the summer.

2 -- Run the Sporting Life 10k AND the Ottawa 10k races --- Prior to all this NYC Marathon application madness my goal for this season was to run a Sub-60 minute 10k. It would help me become a stronger runner and put me in a better position for a 2:10:00 half, and hopefully ultimately a 4:30 marathon. If I chose this option I would do an early September half-Marathon and a late fall Marathon (ie. Probably Scotia or Montreal Half and then NYC or Hamilton Full)


Logistically I know option #2 is a better idea all around -- in terms of training safety and stuff. I'm just not sure if missing out on an early half would mean that it'd be higher to kick myself into higher gear through the summer or not. With the weather up hear though, I'm not sure what's going to happen - I don't run outside in -10 weather, and it's been -20 a few times this week.

Bah -- I just want spring to come.

1 comment:

Sonia said...

SPRING IS HERE! Hope the running is back on track :o)