Thursday, May 28, 2009

Flats Flats Flats!

I have changed 5 (FIVE!) flats in the past two weeks. Okay, one of them was on Martha's bike, and was an excellent opportunity to teach her how to patch a tire, but the other 4 were on mine, RIDICULOUS!

Thanks to the huge amount of flats I now have an ever growing list of things I need to buy to prepare for the rally. I found some new black & purple grip tape at Racer Sportif the other day ($16) - so I can have the bars retaped before I go, but that also brings up the idea of changing the bars to something that fits better.

So here's my list so far:

- tubes - 700Cx18-25mm tubes with a minimum 48mm presta valve. At least 6 needed! ($4 each)
- a new patch kit, have used up nearly all my patches so far! ($3)
- handlebar bag to hold stuff on the rally. ($50)
- Martha also needs a tire change kit for her bike.
- Rim tape ($2)
- Mr. Tuffy tire liners - Orange ($20 a set at Urbane)
- new handlebars (??? plus installation and cables - at Urbane or CBN)
- new shorts! (very important!!!) - need 2 pairs. ($50 each)
- new gloves (am getting blisters on my palms now through the others) - 2 pairs ($20-30 each)

That list isn't too bad I guess... it's about $250 worth of stuff, not including the new bars... Am glad I found the purple tape.

Update: Okay -- I've decided. I'm going to spend the money on having the bars swapped out for Women's specific bars. It's going to make a difference to the fit of my bike as well as riding ability. Urbane estimates the cost to be $150. Fun.

Update again: Also REALLY need sunglasses. Good ones. There's another $100

No comments: