Monday, May 14, 2007

Didn't Win the Lottery :(

Boooooooooooo!

The results for the NYC Marathon's international lottery entries is up --- and my status has been declared "Not Accepted" - oh well! I guess I won't be running NYC this year!

I've been pondering it for the past month or so, and I think I'm going to rethink my whole approach to this season. I'm actually considering going back to the beginning and retraining myself entirely for a series of half's this fall. I was thinking of doing a tour of them - Scotia, Toronto and maybe even Hamilton. That's alot of races - but I sort of like the idea of learning to run faster, and more consistently.

Speed is what's inspiring this change in focus. I'm not satisfied running at my pokey 6.5-7 minute per km pace anymore. I have one speed, it's the same pace for whether I'm running a 5k and whether I'm running 25. I want to go faster, I want to stretch my legs. I want to run a friggan 10k in 50 minutes damnit!

So I'm rethinking my whole plan for this year now -- Nissan 10 miler is in July, the Run for Canada 10k is Canada Day and was mentioned to me... Montreal International is September 9, Scotia is end of September, Toronto is mid-October, and the new Hamilton Race & Angus Glen are both on November 4. Thats about 2 weeks between each race -- I'm wondering if it's a totally insane idea to try 4 races in 2 months, or not... If anything though - I bet I could run at least one of those races under 2h15m. I wonder how badly a race schedule like that messes with your head.......

I've been in the mood to test the limits of my body and mind recently. And I've found it in various types of activities. I like to marry the body and mind, and to challenge them together - the way I was running previously was more of a challenge to my mind. Oh, it was hard on the body - but I would say that my running was 70% mental and 30% physical --- I want that to be more even. Even more - I already know my brain is great, I'd like to see my physical ability surpass my mental ability, even just once.


So I didn't win the lottery :( It's a little sad, I would've really loved to have run New York this year - but that's okay, because it opens up the doors to a wealth of other possibilities.


Oh - and Sonia rocked her way through another marathon yesterday, despite a bunch of physical troubles. You should go congratulate her.

No comments: