Friday, September 7, 2007

Chilly Half 2008?

Yesterday I saw my Doctor. We discussed my health history... I told her I used to be a runner, but having taken the Winter off, packed on about 15-20 lbs over the past 6 months. She looked me up and down and asked me what I'm doing for exercise.


We had a discussion. I run with the LTR group - but that's 3km, 3 times a week. I cycle about 45km a week. She looked at me frankly and said "Nothing burns calories like running". It's true.

I've come to the conclusion that it's time to make a choice. Being FAT isn't fun. I miss the way my clothes fit, I hate going into a store and seeing muffin top in a size that was comfortable last spring. That said - I REALLY love pizza, and bread, and butter, and all the rest. So it comes to this - there are three choices on the table here:
1 - I can stay fat, and likely get fatter.
2 - I can eat the Weight Watchers prescribed 1200 calories a day, substituting Salad for all the good foods, avoiding protein because it's too high in Points, and filling my life with substitutes like Sugar-Free Jello.
3 - I can get my ass in gear, run those 20km a week I know I NEED to at least complete to stay in relatively good shape, suck it up, and treat myself to giant breakfasts on the weekends after a long run. Oh - and I have a really good excuse for things like Chocolate Milk and BBQ'd meat.


*sigh* Running hurts, it's not fun 80% of the time, and there is a tendency for it all to become a bit of a cult. But really, my Doctor is right. Nothing burns calories like running does. And really, nothing will afford me the lifestyle I want.

That's it I guess. Time to suck it up Buttercup.

I'm going to try to get myself in good enough shape to run the Chilly Half this winter. I'm not all that excited about this race because of the way it was managed last year - but there aren't alot of options for Half's in February.

It's September now - is that too early to think about the 2008 season? At this point in time this is how it would look for me: Chilly Half, Ottawa Half, Tri's and Du's and Adventure Racing over the Summer, Montreal Half, Scotia/Toronto full in the fall (maybe).

4 comments:

Amy said...

I hear ya sista! I run with my 5k clinic 3 times a week... but I end up at the back of the pack, because I hate to hold back my group leaders. I could walk faster then my slow runners run!

Like you, I need to suck it up and just start doing the distances again on my own.

I love your doctor's words... and she's bang on. Nothing burns calories like running.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I just randomly found your blog...

I was disappointed with Chilly in 07 as well. Stupid last km marker made me just miss my goal of 2 hours which I came back and killed in May at Missisauga.

Did you run Chilly last year? The training for it sucks since it is in the dead of winter, I really hated my long runs and did 1 x 16 km run and 2x18 km runs on the treadmill. so not fun. If you don't like the chilly organization, there is another race over in grimsby on the same day, or you could see if you could find a race later (like early april?) there is the Kingston half which I believe is in April and there is also the peterborough have in February.

angelafurniss said...

I so know the feeling! I need to get back into my running! All I have done this summer, is a LTR and a few 10km races. Thats it! I am so looking forward to starting my training for the 1/2.

If you're looking for races, I say, come run the Ottawa 1/2 (Hypo Half I think it's called). I'll be doing that one as my first half ever!

Anonymous said...

I love the quote on this home page
The courage to start... the strength to endure... the resolve to finish...
can anyone tell me where this came from or who said it?